Thursday, November 3, 2011

Until Last Night...

I love watching Antiques Road Show on PBS. I could watch it for hours. I love seeing people from all over the country, listening to their stories, and seeing what they have brought in. I also love the appraisers; hearing what they have to say and discovering which gallery or auction houses they work for. Right out of college, I worked for McColl Fine Art. Coolest first job, ever. I worked with people like the appraisers on this show. I also spent some time working with auction houses and attended a few art and antique shows. I miss that world! And the road show brings me back a little...Love it.

    
But this is usually the only thing I watch on PBS. Until last night! The show “The Fabric of the Cosmos” came on right after Antiques Road Show. I was pretty much hooked from the title line. This show made me wish I had paid more attention in science class in high school. Wow. I had heard some of Albert Einstein’s theories before but never really grasped them…until last night! Probably, because they had never been properly explained to me. This show does a great job of explaining very complex ideas in way that a non-science oriented person can understand.
And the show went on to explain the theories that were developed after Einstein. The work of Peter Higgs for example and the amazing work that is being done at Cern. Let me just say, I was fascinated! Particles are everywhere!
Anyway, hopefully this is a series. I want to learn more! I know this sounds nuts, but all the sudden I’m interested in Nuclear Research. What?! I think I am going to start my new journey of learning with an Albert Einstein biography. Seems like a good place for me to start. I'm pretty sure diving into equations and theory wouldn't go so well. Not without a teacher anyway...
This one sounds pretty good! Who ever would have thought science would have captured my attention like this! I love being inspired to learn new things. Doesn't happen often, so I'm just gonna go with it. As Albert Einstein said "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing".
“To Infinity…and beyond!”

No comments:

Post a Comment